Local Search for Business
How to claim your business on Google Local
- Go to: http://www.google.com/local/add/
- Sign in. If you do not have a Google Account, you can create one using your existing email.
- Click on the button “Add a new business”
- Enter the information for your business location. For description, enter text that describes products and services you offer, but that are not found in your company name.
- The next screen may show your existing location. Select ‘Claim listing’.
- If the address you entered is correct (and most likely matches what Google has), then click on the “Claim Listing” button on the confirmation window.
- Click the “Edit” button to edit your business information. This includes category, hours, and payment information. You may enter a logo if you wish.
- An important step! This page is the verification page. Google will call your business phone and announce a PIN that you must enter in order to successfully claim this listing. Google will call the number immediately, so make sure whoever answers the phone writes down the PIN number. If you have a nimrod employee who hangs up, you can have Google call again if necessary. Enter the contact name (store manager), and click “Finish”.
- That’s it! You now own the local Google listing for your business. This is intended to increase search results for people that are searching for products you offer, instead of someone just looking for our company name.
Comscore released a study by the Yellow Pages Association that showed that local search grown 58% in 2008, much more quickly than regular searches, which grew by 21%. Does your company show up in local search results?.
Try this: type in the industry your business is in, and then the city and state. For example, if you run an insurance company in Raleigh, North Carolina, type in “Insurance, Raleigh, NC” in Google. If your company does not come up in the first page, then you need an SEO company that specializes in small businesses (ahem) to analyze your website and provide instructions on how to improve your search results.